How to Get to Maker Faire Bay Area
By Public Transit
Caltrain + Walk
- Take Caltrain to the Hillsdale station. (You must have a Caltrain ticket before you board the train.) For real-time schedule updates, call or find the realtime schedule here: Caltrain Realtime.
- Cross the platform and go down the steps to the parking lot, on the east side.
- Walk north along the fenced-off bike/pedestrian path, continuing north to the Event Center. It’s a 10-15 minute walk.
Within San Mateo:
- Take the El Camino Real (ECR) route. Find the route map and schedule here: SamTrans ECR Route and Schedule.
- Catch an ECR bus from anywhere on El Camino Real to the 25th Ave. stop in San Mateo.
- Walk east on 25th Avenue for two blocks.
From locations outside San Mateo, you can take one of two bus routes:
- The Route 292 bus will take you to the east side of the Faire. Find the route map and schedule here: Route 292 Schedules and Maps. (The route from Mission Street in downtown San Francisco is an 80-minute ride.)
- The Route 250 bus will take you to El Camino Real at Hillsdale. Find the route map and schedule here: Route 250 Schedules and Maps. From here, you can walk about 20 minutes to the Faire on the trail that parallels the tracks or transfer to the El Camino Real (ECR). (It’s about a 30-minute ride from the College of San Mateo to El Camino Real and Hillsdale. If you transfer to the El Camino Real bus in San Mateo, you will have to pay again.)
Riding from San Francisco
Try out the San Mateo County North-South Bicycle Route. This is a flat route that closely follows the Caltrain route. It starts on Tunnel Avenue, then follows Bayshore Boulevard through Brisbane and a series of different streets through South San Francisco to Delaware Street in San Mateo. Follow Delaware Street south to the Expo Center.
It takes about 1.5 hours to ride this route at an easy pace. Use a good local street map if you’re not familiar with this area.
Rail + Bike
Use Caltrain and/or BART to cover most of the distance and then bike the final leg:
- Take your bike on board Caltrain and get off at the Hillsdale station; then bike this short route. (The route will be crowded with pedestrians, ride safely.)
- BART allows bikes on board except in the first car. Get off at the final Millbrae station; from there it’s a 30-40 minute ride to the San Mateo Event Center. Start on the west side of Millbrae station on California Ave. and bike south on California.
Details coming soon.
The rideshare drop off location is open Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Have your taxi, Lyft, Uber etc. use our drop-off and pick-up zone. Look for the rideshare signs.
- From San Francisco: approx. 15 min (9.8 mi) via US-101 South
- From San Jose: approx. 30 min (26.7 mi) via US-101 North
- From Oakland: approx. 33 min (25.1 mi) via I-880 South and CA-92 West
If you are driving to the faire, subscribe to our traffic twitter feed: https://twitter.com/fairetraffic
Increased onsite parking options will be available this year. More information on parking + shuttle information is coming soon.
There are three major airports near the San Mateo Convention Center:
- San Francisco International (SFO); the closest to the event center and recommended hotels
- Oakland International (OAK)
- San Jose International (SJC)