Getting to Maker Faire Maker Faire Bay Area 2017
|Friday, May 19 – Special Preview Day||1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|Saturday, May 20||10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.|
|Sunday, May 21||10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.|
GETTING TO MAKER FAIRE:
There are three major airports nearby: San Francisco International (SFO), Oakland International (OAK), and San Jose International (SJC). San Francisco International (SFO) is the closest to the event center and recommended hotels.
To the Event Center
From San Francisco: approx. 15 min (9.8 mi) via US-101 South
From San Jose: approx. 30 min (26.7 mi) via US-101 North
From Oakland: approx. 33 min (25.1 mi) via I-880 South and CA-92 West
BART + Shuttle
Millbrae BART Station (Saturday & Sunday only) 200 Rollins Road, Millbrae, CA 94030
- Our free shuttle will be at the bus bay #6 on the east side, closest to the station, next to the parking structure
- Take a SamTrans El Camino Real (ECR) buses offered by SamTrans southbound to 25th Avenue and walk 2 blocks east to the West Gate entrance
Caltrain + Walk
- Take Caltrain to the Hillsdale station. Cross the platform and go down the steps to the parking lot, on the east side. Walk left (north) along the fenced-off bike/pedestrian path, continuing north to the Event Center. It’s a 10-15 minute walk.
- You must have a Caltrain ticket before you board the train
- For further information, fares and schedules visit: www.caltrain.com or call 1-800-660-4287
SamTrans – Check for Saturday and Sunday schedules
- Fares: http://www.samtrans.com/fares/farechart.html; for additional information, visit http://www.samtrans.com or call 1-800-660-4287
- For the El Camino Real (ECR) route and schedule time see SamTrans ECR Route and Schedule.
- Catch an ECR bus from anywhere on El Camino Real to the 25th Ave stop in San Mateo. Walk east on 25th Avenue for two blocks.
- Try the park and ride lots near El Camino Real to be able to access the ECR route
- From locations outside San Mateo:
- Route 292 bus from downtown (Mission Street) San Francisco is an 80-minute ride to the east side of the Faire. Schedule here: Route 292 Schedules and Maps.
- Route 250 bus from College of San Mateo is a 30 minute ride to El Camino Real and Hillsdale. From here you can walk about 20 minutes to the Faire on the trail that parallels the tracks http://g.co/maps/fpqga. Route 250 schedule here: Route 250. If you transfer to the ECR bus (mentioned above) note that in San Mateo you will have to pay again.
For connections through other transit agencies like Amtrak, see Transit Unlimited.
- Free, monitored bicycle parking
- Bike parking is located opposite the South Gate entrance to the Faire on South Delaware Street, about 500 ft. south of 25th Avenue
- Patch kits, assistance, water, and bathrooms are available to bicyclists using the bike parking
- Bike parking hours are as follows:
Friday May 19th 12:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Saturday May 20th 9:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. Sunday, May 21st 9:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Riding from San Francisco:
Try out the San Mateo County North-South Bicycle Route. This is a flat route, which closely follows the Caltrain route. It starts on Tunnel Avenue, then uses Bayshore Boulevard through Brisbane and then a series of different streets through South San Francisco to get to Delaware Street in San Mateo. Follow Delaware Street south to the Expo Center. It takes about 1.5 hours to ride this route at an easy pace. Get a map of the route. Use map with a good local street map if you’re not familiar with this area.
Rail + Bike
- Use Caltrain and/or BART to cover most of the distance, and then bike the final leg.
- Caltrain allows bikes on board. Take your bike on board Caltrain and get off at the Hillsdale station; then bike the short route. See the route here: http://g.co/maps/fpqga. Note: the route will be crowded with pedestrians, please ride safely.
- BART allows bikes on board, however, not in the first car. Get off at the final Millbrae station; from there it’s a 5-mile (30-40 minute) ride to the San Mateo Event Center. Exit on the west side of Millbrae station, onto California Avenue. Bike south on California. Get a map of the route.
BY CAR—OFF SITE PARKING + FREE SHUTTLES
NO ON SITE PARKING at San Mateo Event Center on Saturday + Sunday. Please plan accordingly.
- Avoid the streets around the Event Center as the area gets heavily congested with delays.
- Please be courteous to the neighborhoods around the Event Center (Bay Meadows, Fiesta Gardens). There is NO STREET PARKING OR EVENT ACCESS in these neighborhoods.
- Our twitter feed will be updated on availability of parking spaces at the lots for Maker Faire
OFF SITE PARKING LOTS Available on Saturday + Sunday only.
- Each parking lot is free and offers a free shuttle
- Shuttle pick up/drop off times are subject to delays due to traffic congestion in the area.
Saturday 9 am – 8 pm
Sunday 9 am – 7 pm
Millbrae BART Station (GREEN LINE)
200 Rollins Road, Millbrae, CA 94030
College of San Mateo Parking Lot (PURPLE LINE)
1700 West Hillsdale Blvd, San Mateo
As you exit Highway 92 going towards CSM go all the way up W. Hillsdale Blvd. to the very top and make a left turn. Follow Maker Faire signage to Planetarium/Galileo lot shuttle pick up spot.
Crossroads Parking Lot (BLUE LINE)
1875 S. Grant St, San Mateo
Oracle Plaza (RED LINE)
Oracle Plaza, 10 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City
Shuttle buses will pick up at the central roundabout.
BY CAR—FRIDAY@MAKER FAIRE
Limited public parking is available at the San Mateo Event Center for $25.
It’s so easy! Have your Lyft, Taxi, Uber, etc. drop you at the 2495 South Delaware Street and look for the rideshare signs. Rideshare drop off location is available on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
TRANSPORTATION FOR THOSE WITH A MOBILITY DISABILITY
ADA Alternative Transportation
On Saturday + Sunday, take Caltrain or BART to the faire! You can ride the free ADA shuttles from the Millbrae Station.
SamTrans offers paratransit service for those with disabilities that cannot independently use regular service. Find out if the RediWheels service is for you by calling 650-508-6241 for a prearranged trip.
ADA by Car
There is an ADA drop off zone on South Delaware Street near the 25th Street entrance. Maker Faire is very well attended! The area around the faire is extremely congested, especially in the afternoon. Please allow extra time to reach the Event Center to drop off your guest and return to the parking lot.
If you are driving to the faire, subscribe to our traffic twitter feed: http://twitter.com/fairetraffic
AT MAKER FAIRE
Limited wheelchair rentals are available for $10 – cash only – at the each gate Guest Services Centers. A valid photo ID is required for deposit. Availability is on a first-come first-served basis.